Maths Week 2023 for Schools - Volume 2
Due to the disruptions during Maths Week Scotland following industrial action in schools, we are extending our programme for schools by another week. Any schools who have not had the opportunity to fully participate, are invited to celebrate Maths Week in the week of 2 Oct to 6 Oct.
We have a number of rescheduled events for you to look forward to, plus recordings of some events that could not be rescheduled but are now available to access online at any time that suits. Some of the competitions have also been extended, to allow more schools time to enter.
Our Activity Packs, free Twinkl resources, and the Scottish Mathematical Council's Maths in Motion video series of course also remain available to you, as do all the other new and existing resources which can now be searched by level and topic in our revamped Learning Resources section.
Please also don't forget to add your school to our Maths Week Scotland map, and we always love to hear about everyone's activities so please feel free to tag us on Twitter (X) or Facebook.
You'll find all the relevant details and links for everything listed below.
DYW Live Webinars:
This series of webinars on 'Maths in Motion' included four talks from a STEM Ambassador, Stream Marine Careers, First Bus, and an energy sector consultant. All talks were recorded and are now available via the e-sgoil website.
Maths Through Ceilidh:
This video and resources from this event are now permanently available on our website for teachers to access at any time.
Code Breaking - Your Country Needs You:
Unfortunately this year's event could not be recorded, but a recording of last years' Codebreaking & Cryptography event can still be found on the Open University's YouTube channel.
Rescheduled Online Events
Tuesday 3 October 2023
- 9:30am – 10:15am: Multiple Heartbeats Workshop | for age 4 - 11 (registration closes at 8pm on Mon 2 Oct)*
- 10am - 10:30am: Litter Detectives Workshop | for P2 - P6
*Please note that anyone who registers late in the day on the deadline day will receive their access link on the morning of the workshop.
Wednesday 4 October 2023
- 10am - 11am: Hats and turtles - Playing with the mathematics of tiles | for age 10 - 14
Tuesday 24 October 2023
- 11am - 12pm: Talking Maths with Forensic Science | for S1 - S4
Thursday 16 November 2023
- 9:15am – 10am: Virgin Money Primary School Workshop | for age 9 - 11
- 11am – 12pm: Virgin Money Secondary School Workshop | for age 13 - 16
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm: Virgin Money Secondary Maths Inspired Careers Panel | for age 14 - 18
Competitions & Challenges
The deadline for the 'Get to the Point' Data Visualisation Competition has been extended to Friday 6 October.
The deadline for the 'Maths Inside' Photography Competition has been extended to Monday 16 October.
The Maths Wi Nae Borders competition runs until 23 October.
The BBC Bitesize Daily Challenges will remain online after this week and can be watched at any time thereafter.
Details to all competitions and challenges are in the Challenges section of our website.
You will find a host of resources to access or download in our Learning Resources section, which has had a revamp and is now fully searchable by Level and Topic! Some of the new resources for 2023 include:
- Activity Packs for all levels, with ideas for celebrating Maths Week at school
- Free Twinkl resources on World of Work & Maths In Motion theme (all levels)
- Maths In Motion video series (second level)
- Maths in Motion with National Galleries Scotland (all levels)
- JoJo Gnome and the Shape Map activity (early level)
- Numbertots Active Maths Video Adventure (early level)
- Dance Like a Robot resource from NumBots (early to second level)
- Numberfit Active Times Table Challenge (first and second level)
- New Numberella interactive adventure (first to third level)
All these are available in the Learning Resources section of our website, plus many more resources from previous years.
Maths Week Scotland Map
And, finally, if If you have not already done so, please add your school or ELC to our Maths Week Scotland map if you are taking part this week or last week. We've reset the map for 2023, so if you joined our map in previous years you'll need to add yourself again.
>> Visit Map
Upcoming Events1st Jan-31st Dec
Maths in Motion at the Gallery of Modern Art
Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Modern One 10.00am-3.00pm Free
Download the resource or book a free self-led visit to the gallery, to explore pattern, scale, shape, symmetry and maths in motion!